14 Months Old

I never seem to find the right words to describe how overjoyed we are with having Owen in our lives. Each day with him seems so fun and special. We are crazy about him. As Mother's Day has just passed, I was reflecting that I don't feel like I've earned a mom title yet. I don't know why I feel this way...maybe because Owen has been such an easy and fun little guy that it has not seem like a lot of work. Oh, don't get me wrong...he has had his moments and there have been times when I've been wanting more sleep. But the reality is, just having him here is such a wonderful gift, that I don't ever feel like being a mom is such a job. I want to sooth the pain, I want to make sure he's happy, I want to always be there for him. Being a parent has been such a great experience so far.

I love to document Owen’s milestones each month. I enjoy thinking about all the changes and growth that have happened in just the past few weeks. Of course when someone asks me a question like “When did Owen first sit on his own?” I totally forget…but it’s all here on his blog for reference, so it’s okay that my memory seems to be going.

14 month milestones:
  • This month has been all about walking. Owen had made vast improvements with his walking that he now prefers it to crawling. It has been so fun to watch this development. He has gone from wobbly to walking with pretty good confidence. He used to struggle a lot in our house with the wooden thresholds that are at each doorway…now he maneuvers past them without a problem. He still can’t stand up without using something to pull himself up, but he is doing so well toddling around.
  • Owen is a big fan of containers. Taking things out of contains, putting things in, and fitting a lid on top.
  • Is doing well eating with his fingers (though Daddy says he makes a massive mess when eating his favorite…cereal bars). He has even shown a lot of interest lately in using a spoon on his own. While I find it quite messy to have him dip his spoon into yogurt, it is nice that he is showing interest in doing this himself.
  • Owen has become somewhat interested in scribbling with crayons. He likes to grab pens and hold them like he is writing. I probably need to encourage this more…I just don’t think I’m ready to have everything scribbled on yet!
  • Owen loves to push and pull things around. His wagon, a laundry basket, stroller, anything that he is strong enough to move on his own.
  • Owen has been spending more time outside and has slowly become more interested in balls. He’s not great about passing a ball back and forth, but lately he has been going around and collecting balls to put in his wagon. Tennis balls have become a recent favorite. In the Celtic fever that’s happening…Daddy got Owen a mini b-ball hoop. I’ve seen him put tennis balls through the hoop, but he’s not super consistent yet.
  • Owen is a boy of few words. I have heard him say “hi”, which is new…but he hasn’t really been into talking yet.
  • Teething seems to be this constant question mark for us. I’m not sure how much it affects him, but he does get his cranky periods and times when eating isn’t great that I wonder if his teeth are bothering him. He is currently working on tooth three and four on the bottom.

0 comments: